Thursday, September 9, 2010

NOT What I Had In Mind, Part 2

Sorry to load this on you, folks (feel free to skim), but writing this all up is somewhat therapeutic, plus, if I pass out or something, Alan can just refer the medical professionals here.

Tuesday Morning

We get the kids off to school and I call in sick to work. My boss is sympathetic--he's a runner and he's had back problems. I call the chiropractor at 8am and explain the situation. They are full. The receptionist is very nice but the schedule is full. The best she can do is call me if they have a cancellation. I'm assured that I'm top of the list. I hang up in tears. I call Mum who is poised to help with transport in case getting in to the chiro conflicts with Alan's teaching schedule.  Shortly after that, the receptionist calls me back and says she can get me at 2:30pm and will call if anything comes up earlier.  So, at least I know I'll see him that day, which is a big relief.  I call Mum back with the news.  She must hear how miserable I am (she's my mom, after all) and ends up coming over later to cook me butterscotch pudding and keep me company for a while.  I'm so lucky to have such awesome family. [As I type this, Jeremy just walked up to me and gave me a sweet little hug and rubbed my back, as if illustrating my point.]

*******************************

OK, I give up on the long-winded saga.  On Wednesday, I was worse, not better.  I
 had what I thought was an allergic reaction to the steroids, but it turns out that I have Shingles.  This is only the third time my doctor has seen the pain manifest before the rash so that's why she didn't pick up on it at first.  In addition to the massive nerve pain in my hip, my butt looks--and feels--like I sat in boiling oil.  I am NOT having fun. Hubby has been wonderful schlepping me to doctors and fetching and carrying stuff and dealing with the kids and the house and commiserating when I just can't do anything else except shiver and cry. 

Mum's here now taking her turn as nurse and my only goal for the day is to stay medicated, eat a little, and rest as much as possible. 

Please think good thoughts for me, folks.  I'm trying not to think about 9 days from now.

3 comments:

  1. OH NANCY!! I've had Shingles and it's the WORST Pain EVER!!
    Hope it's a quick one.
    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is terrible news. I am so sorry! How are you feeling this weekend?
    I know you don't want to "go there" but there ARE other half marathons this fall. Give yourself time to heal. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete