Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Leading Up to the Race

Now that you've read the race report, here's a synopsis of the two weeks prior.

13 days to go:  Got shingles, didn't know it (thought maybe I had  pinched nerve). Ran/walked 10 miles.  Took to my bed, but haven't actually had a complete night's sleep since.

12 days to go: Saw doctor.  She agreed with pinched nerve diagnosis, gave me steroid shot and mega pain killers.

10 days to go: At 4th doctor visit for the week--following appearance of angry red, spots on my rear end--found out it was shingles. Got on anti-virals.

7 days to go: Unable to eat anything for several days and unable to stand pain meds any more, switched to ibuprofen.

4 days to go:  Finished week-long course of anti-virals.  Still felt lousy but thought I was on the mend. Worked a half day.

3 days to go:  Worked a half day.  Drove to my "happy place" (the Stillwater River Trail off Bennoch Rd),  ran an out-and-back totalling 2.5 miles.  Felt better than I thought I would at first, but then got a little shaky at the turnaround.  Definitely not feeling like my usual self.  Very slow.

2 days to go:  Woke up feeling fevery and nauseous, definite signs that the virus was still alive and kicking (my a$$).  Worked a half day.  Got refill on anti-virals.  Living to toss back 800 mg of ibuprofen every four hours.

1 day to go: A bit freaked out, yet still barely able to function.  Packed up my stuff and helped pack up the kids for overnight.  Got on the road around 4pm. Met Mum and Dad in Ellsworth and traded: our Sienna filled with 3 hungry kids and saintly mother-in-law, for their empty CR-V.  Breathed deeply on way to Bar Harbor.  Checked in to motel, picked up race packets, attended pre-race dinner (billed as spaghetti, turned out to be lasagne...not bad but didn't quite hit the spot).  Returned to motel, ate snacks, tried to relax. Discovered I'd been given someone else's bib number.  Called organizers and left message that I would swap it in the am. Slept very badly, up frequently, still popping ibuprofen and wondering if I was going to make it.

Day of race:  Took showers, got dressed, filled our camelbaks, tried to eat something, managed not to barf.  Drove to YMCA and got the bib numbers straightened out.  Used restroom. Met up with Mum et al and handed off camelbaks, went over instructions for the hand-off one last time.  Saw Emilie and her friends Jen and Susan, and another running friend, Doug.  Emilie asked how I felt, I said something to the effect of "lousy".  I explained that really the final decision had come down to the fact that if I didn't run, I'd be traipsing around the park with my parents and my kids supporting Alan and I didn't think that would be any more relaxing.  Quoth Emilie with a knowing smile on her face: "That's why we run!".

No comments:

Post a Comment