Saturday, June 5, 2010

Vermont Trip: Running

Alan and I needed to get in a "long run" during the weekend, so we planned a five mile course in St. Alban's while Helen entertained all four kids on the shores of Lake Champlain.  We started near a lovely town park with lots of beautiful stonework:

We turned left at the antique gas station:

The halfway point was a lovely little boat launch:

Here's where we thought we were supposed to turn for an out-and-back, but Alan missed it completely (ha!) and we realized later it was the wrong road.  I took it anyway...:

...and came to this.  The picture doesn't convey how dramatically steep this hill was, but I felt like I was at the top of a cliff (one which I would later have to climb back up).  But I went for it anyway!

While I was getting hill training, Alan went to the end of our route and ran back partway to meet me, so for the last bit we ran together for the first time ever.  We only ended up doing about 4.4 miles, but the weather was gorgeous and the views were spectacular (not so much the next day when we went back to take these pictures so I sort of skipped that part) and the run felt great.  We ended up at Kamp Kill Kare where the ranger (who was expecting us ) greeted us with "you made it!" and a big bright smile. 

Not the most flattering shot of me, but Hey, that's why we're doing this, right? 
And it's great to be doing it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment