Monday, June 1, 2009

The Lusty Month of May

New photos added 07-07-09

"Lusty", that is, in the fullness-of-life sense. May kind of got the best of me. Highlights are described below. Here's what my pocket calendar looked like (don't worry, I can't read it either):

















May 1-2: CAP Examination in Portland, ME


Four-parts, gruelling, long, yucky, didn't do well, results not coming until mid-June at which point I'll start studying for the November retakes. I did, however, get to stop in Danville on my way home to see the Keene family. It was really nice to relax and visit with long-time friends John & Masha and daughter Yana, and to finally meet baby John Dmitri who is soon to turn one year old!

May 6: Fifth Grade History Fair


James did a very thorough report and presentation on "Operation Overlord" (aka D-Day) for which he (OK, we) created an elaborate diorama and Alan pitched in by giving our little GI a buzz cut!






May 9: The Pixy Ball




This Orono Public Library benefit is quickly becoming the social event of the year! Madeline and Nana Lois and I donned some very silly fairy attire and enjoyed a lovely afternoon in the court of the Fairy King and Queen.






May 10: Mother's Day

I almost forgot to mention this, probably since it didn't happen quite the way I'd hoped. [For the record, darling: mopping the kitchen floor is NOT what I had dreamed of doing.] We did have a very nice dinner at home, made by me (which meant I got to make exactly what I wanted AND take pictures of my food).

The best part, though, was the following tidbit I picked up a few days prior:

Premise: 3 married-with-children couples discuss weekend plans via e-mail. The "boys" want to go to the movies. We join the conversation as Kay points out that the date in question is Mother's Day.

KAY:
Tom can come play, but mother's day? really? or is this a cover so you guys can go out and bring us back loads of ready-made meals, chocolate and alcohol? in which case, i'm onboard.

HELEN:
Oh right. I forgot about that.

RICH (Helen's husband):
I don't know about Tom or Tyler, but I'm taking the ladies to brunch.
Doesn't that cover things?!?! ;)

HELEN:
Hmmmmm....
Months of heartburn and backache, hours of labor, 8-pounds-thirteen-ounces-without-drugs, sleepless weeks nursing 24/7 with cracked and bleeding nipples, body permanently reshaped in weird ways....
Oh yeah, I guess brunch covers that. :-)


May 15-17: the GNED Conference in Sturbridge, MA

(see earlier post for alphabet soup translations)

This was fun, interesting, educational, and a nice break from "normal" life (read: kids and the office). The location and weather were lovely and I even got in a couple hours at Old Sturbridge Village. I really enjoyed learning how to build our local chapter and getting to know people at the Division level. I was delighted to meet up with a fellow Mount Holyoke alum who conducted a great worshop on networking etiquette.

Take-aways from the weekend included:

--cookies with the IAAP logo printed on them

--raffle and silent auction loot worth much more than I spent on the tickets (stocking stuffers: check!)

--the thank you note wizard on http://www.mannersmith.com/ (it's perfect for the kids!)


May 25: Memorial Day

Madeline and I accompanied Gumpy and his train in the Orono parade which conveniently passes right by our house. I was the replacement brakewoman since Mum's foot is still not 100%, and Madeline pulled the coal car the whole way! James marched with the Boy Scouts in spite of a recently sprained ankle, got to be front-and-center for the ceremonies on the bridge, and even carried a flag for the second half of the parade.

Afterwards, we had an extended day of festivities at our house. Phase One attendees included Great Aunt Betty, Mum & Dad, Nana Mary, Jenn and Ethan, and John and Yana who stayed long enough to overlap with Phase Two: the Fey Family. Kathy and Dave arrived with 2 year old Alex and 4-week-old Elizabeth who was adored and held by all. We ate and drank and played pretty much the whole long, delicious day!

May 29: Recital Dress Rehearsal

Five hours of pandemonium, picture-taking, costume changes, confusion, stampeding ballerinas, short-tempered parents, exhaustion and pizza. Oh yeah, and some rehearsing.


May 30: Mary Drew School of Dance 2009 Recital

Madeline was great! She was in 3 ballet numbers and one break-neck, crowded version of Cotton Eye Joe (think "little girls as cattle").

In addition to helping with various costumes and designing the programs, I was not just a ballet mom this year, but a dancer and choreographer myself.

I danced a "Hoedown" (aka the "beef-it's-what's-for-dinner" song) with a group of 21-and-unders while wearing a frightening red checked top and pouffy skirt. James put in an appearance as a handsome lead cowboy!

I also did two slightly more grown-up numbers with my three classmates who, it was pointed out to me, could ALL have been my children (thank you so much for that, Mum!). We did "Mercy" by Duffy with a few belly dance moves:

and "Amazing Grace" in a style reminiscent of a famous Alvin Ailey number (sorry: no decent picture of that one).










And the piece de resistance...Madeline and I performed "Doll on a Music Box" from Chitty, Chitty Bang-Bang. Shield your eyes now if you can't handle the 40 year old in a tutu [no laughing and NO PRINTING!!!]:




















May 31: Ethan's Re-affirmation of Baptism

Yesterday, I was honored to officially become Ethan Galen Jeremiah's godmother. I'm so flattered and filled with love for Ethan and both his parents. Knowing all three of you has certainly enriched my life in so many ways. Thank you, Jenn and Travis!







And that about wraps up May!




No comments:

Post a Comment