Saturday, August 14, 2010

Acadia, August 5 & 6, 2010

Here a few photos of the two days we spent at Seawall.  We filled our site with our massive red tent (containing 1 king size air mattress and 3 twin air mattresses and floor space to spare), and hosted meals over our fire, while Helen, Rich and Sam set up one wee little tent and only actually spent one night in it.  Kind of a study in contrasts:



We took a walk/ride on Hio Road, a carriage road adjacent to the campground.


Dinners and breakfasts ALL included our traditional purple potatoes!  They really were this brightly colored (here they are ready to be fried up, having been pre-baked at home):


On Friday, we had many adventures NOT captured digitally (at least, not by us). 

Alan and I ran/walked 6.2 miles from Seawall to Echo Lake.  This was our long training run for the week, well planned out in advance.  As we were driving in on Thursday we found ourselves coasting down an alarmingly long hill near the end of our route.  Alarming because we were driving the route in reverse.  The more we went down, the more Alan and I said, Noooooooooo!  And then when Friday arrived it was slightly overcast (good) and 90-something degrees (not good).  But we'd convinced our relatives to take on the kids and meet us at the lake so we had to brave the hill and the heat.

Alan gave me a 6 minute head start and caught up to me in downtown Southwest Harbor.  He had run the entire 40+ minutes that it took him to catch me and declared that he was done.  He made a few attempts to run some more, but mostly walked the rest of the route.  I had been taking frequent walking breaks and couldn't face the idea of making the hill last any longer than I absolutely had to, so I continued to alternate as needed.  Once I finally made it to the Top of the Hill Restaurant I knew I was in the home stretch.  There was a little bit of a downhill and then I was rewarded with the turn for Echo Lake.  Suddenly, I was on a park road, which in itself made me feel much happier than being in regular traffic, but it was also in good repair, completely covered with shade trees, winding downhill ever closer to the lake.  Aaaaaaahhh....I actually got a little nervous because I had to put on the brakes so my body wouldn't get there before my feet.  I feared that my knees would buckle and my face would hit the pavement.  I navigated my way through the packed parking lot, the path to the beach, the crowded boardwalk and came to halt right at the edge of the water.  I checked my watch (1:23:something, I can live with that) and looked around for the aforementioned family contingent.  There were at least 200 people at the beach, but not a one was related to me.  Alan, still walking had not caught me again and the rest of the fam, it turned out, had decided to fly kites on the Seawall so they were a little behind schedule and I managed to beat them all! By the time I changed into my bathing suit they had arrived, and we all enjoyed a lovely time splashing, swimming, baking in the sun (a little too much, on my part. I never manage to do a good job with the sunscreen), eating and amusing the ducks at the beautiful sandy beach.

Later, somehow most of us still had enough energy to do Wonderland.  Here are some shots from the beach at the outermost point:




We were all very tired that night and went to bed early snug in our tent with the wind whipping outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment