Saturday, July 31, 2010

Running Is In My Blood?!?!?!

So we're lying in bed the other night, reading books written by our (very diffferent) icons: I'm indulging in Home by Julie Andrews, film and stage actor, singer and author; and Alan is engrossed in On The Run From Dogs And People by Hal Higdon, writer and runner and one of the founders of the Road Runners Club of America.

Suddenly Alan asks me:

 "Do you have an ancestor who came over on the Mayflower?"

"Yes, of course." I answer "George Soule.  Remember? He signed the Mayflower Compact, I Googled him last Thanksgiving to teach the kids about him, I saw his house at the recreated Plymouth Plantation when I was little....  Why?"

So Alan reads aloud these words from our buddy, Hal:

  I casually mentioned my Mayflower ancestry to Stuart Adams when I worked out with him later that day.  Politely he inquired whom the ancestor might be.  My chest swelled with pride as I answered: "George Soule."
  "Is that right," replied Stuart. "He's one of our ancestors too."  For a second my mind relished the possibility that if George Washington were the father of our country, George Soule must be the father of American marathoners...

To use the current vernacular...  SHUT UP!!

Do you realize what this means???  It means that in some distant fashion I'm actually related to Hal Higdon who is much more deserving of the title "father of American marathoners" (and Stuart Adams, whoever he is. I'll have to read the book once Alan's done.).
This, by the way, is the guy whose training plans I have been following to turn myself into a runner.  I tell myself, "If Hal Higdon says I'm ready to do X, then it must be so."

Our Marks Family mantra this year has been "And it all comes back to running."
And now we can add the Soule Family mantra "It all goes back to George."

What do you think...any resemblance??

1 comment: