Sunday, January 10, 2010

Nancy's Brave Plan

I don't feel very brave as I type this, but since Alan let the cat out of the bag by telling Jenn our ambitious running plans I'm feeling pressured to finally write this post, which I've had percolating for several weeks now. So here's my plan:

Goal 1: Become a "runner", specifically, someone who can run 1.5 miles 3 times per week by April.
Method: Hal Higdon's 30/30 plan
Additional tools: HH's Beginner Runner's Guide (arrived in yesterday's mail), new sneakers (Alan and I bought them for each other for Christmas), new sports watch (birthday gift from Alan)...do you sense a theme here?

Goal 2: Run a 5K Memorial Day Weekend (or thereabouts--still looking for a local race around then, or maybe Alan and I will just set a date to run that distance by ourselves and let our weekend house guests baby-sit/cheer us on).
Method: Hal Higdon 5K training plan, beginning April 4th (which is why I need to be able to do goal #1...).

Goal 3: Run and/or walk the MDI HALF MARATHON in September (I can't believe I'm actually saying this! I'm anxious for the online registration to become available so I can't back out!)
Method: Hal Higdon Half Marathon training plan starting in late June; run the Fourth of July 3K as part of training.
Additional tools: Alan, Emilie, Jenn, everyone supporting me along the way...right guys?!?

Goal 4: Run the Turkey Trek on Thanksgiving Day.
Method: Try not to be in an air-cast, and get my baking done ahead of time!

And it's not just talk and buying stuff: I did the 30/30 Monday, Wednesday and Friday last week and I'm actually excited to clean off the bulletin board and post my training calendar!

Well, that's it folks: my first ever training plan and my first ever blog about running.

Yikes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... interesting comment above.

    Anyway, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!. Oh. my. goodness. I love it. And yes, I'm officially your spirit, motivation and logistics coach. And also, registration is OPEN for the MDI half. I'm so excited for you. Every girl needs a training plan on the fridge. It's the path to happiness. My friend Jen is trying to organize a May 5K in Bangor to support March of Dimes, and I'll keep you posted. But you will have no trouble finding a 5K. If it isn't actually memorial weekend, (I'll be in vermont for marathon...eek), then I'll run it with you! Way to make it official!

    ReplyDelete