Friday, March 11, 2011

Nancy, Unplugged

No, I am not on a campaign against the Coca-Cola company.

I have officially given up my preferred caffeine delivery system for Lent and I am, therefore, officially in withdrawal.

Wednesday was day 1 and it wasn't bad at all, but my day was non-stop break-neck pace from 8am to 8:30pm, so I really didn't have time to notice my caffeinelessness.  Until 9pm when I suddenly lost all oomph and began yawning incessantly.  I had a bowl of cereal for dinner and crawled into bed to faceplant in the latest Runners World magazine.   Aaaah....

Thursday, I was draggin'.
It was a good thing that I carefully planned to drink the last coke in the house on Tuesday because otherwise I might have failed right off the bat. Yesterday--as any addict would--I found myself seriously asking "why am I doing this?  I like coke and it's not that bad for me, and most days I only have a little one, and then I drink water the rest of the day, and it settles my stomach.....".  But I was good.  I popped some ibuprofen and filled my travel mug with ice water and today has been much better already.  I'm sluggish, but I have a fun day off from work to enjoy...at a slighter slower pace than usual.

A few observations for my own edification:

~It know Coke is bad for me!  All those calories!  All that sugar!  Of course I should quit! 
~I know that I always say I'm giving up Coke for Lent, which means that--on a technicality--I could drink Pepsi [bleck!] or coffee [uhg], or any number of flavored, foamy, delectable, dessert-like beverages [yum!] or otherwise deliver caffeine unto my blood stream if I reeeeeeeaaally feel I need to.  But I will try not to cheat.

~I know that some people--on a liturgically-based technicality--give things up for Lent but allow themselves to indulge on Sundays (Lent is 40 days, plus Sundays). But I consider that cheating, too, so I don't do it.  It only prolongs the addiction, and it means cheating in front of the support group that ought to be backing me up.

~And finally, I also know that on Easter Sunday I will start the day early with 20 ounces of coke-y wondrousness and that is what will get me through two long church services, a big breakfast, and an egg hunt, followed by a huge family dinner at our house.  After that, I'll back off a bit and be better off for having abstained.   Until around Christmas when I'll probably be calling myself a "coke-head" again and occasionally worrying that someone will overhear and get the wrong idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment